Monday, July 26, 2021

Last day, July 26, 2021

 

Panorama of several of Nanticoke's churches. St. Mary's is on the right, at the highest point in the city.
St. Joseph's church, seen on the middle left behind some trees, has been demolished since this picture
was taken from Holy Trinity Cemetery on April 22, 2018.
(Tap on picture and then open in new window to see a large version.)

Today St. Mary's officially closes. I do not know what that means, practically speaking. The doors were locked yesterday, as I expect they are today. What happens next I have no idea. Will the church be left in place, unused? Will it be gutted, with the pews and windows sold off, and then demolished? Will the whole building be sold and repurposed? Someone knows the answers to these questions, I suspect. But I do not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo found tucked in a copy of the 1957 Nanticoke High School yearbook

I received this message the other day: Hi.  I found this photo inserted in the 1957 Nanticoke High School yearbook. I assume it is from St M...