Monday, July 19, 2021

We knew it was coming: November 24, 2008

The first word of the closing of St. Mary's came back in 2008, when the plan for parish consolidation in the Diocese of Scranton was released. All of the Catholic churches in Nanticoke were slated to close except for Holy Trinity. St. Mary's got a second chance when it was selected as the "secondary worship site," where some Masses would be held each week. (It also served as a substitute location while Holy Trinity was undergoing renovations post-consolidation.) But even with its new lease on life, it was apparent that St. Mary's days were numbered. 

I set out to photographically capture as much of St. Mary's as I could. One thing I focused on was the stained glass windows in the church. My work was featured in an article in the Wilkes-Barre Citizens' Voice on November 24, 2008.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo found tucked in a copy of the 1957 Nanticoke High School yearbook

I received this message the other day: Hi.  I found this photo inserted in the 1957 Nanticoke High School yearbook. I assume it is from St M...