Sunday, July 25, 2021

Photos from the next-to-last day

I went to St. Mary's today to see if it might be open for parishioners wishing to visit one last time before the doors are officially closed forever tomorrow, Monday, July 26. But the doors were locked. I decided to get some photos of the exterior, from angles I haven't captured before.







One thing most people don't realize, or at least don't appreciate, is the inversion of perception that happens upon entering a church. Ask anyone what part of the church is the "front" and they might point here, to the part with the steeple, the part where you enter. But upon entering you realize that you are in the rear of the church. The front of the church, as viewed from within, is the part that looks like the back from the outside. I think there's some deeper meaning here.

St. Mary's will be closed for good as of Monday, July 26, 2021.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo found tucked in a copy of the 1957 Nanticoke High School yearbook

I received this message the other day: Hi.  I found this photo inserted in the 1957 Nanticoke High School yearbook. I assume it is from St M...